[mythtv-users] MythTV updates, back out plan, lvm snapshots

Brent Bolin brent.bolin at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 13:05:50 UTC 2012

Hello All,

I've know about lvm snapshots for a while but haven't used it.

Was tinkering with centos 6 running in a kvm environment and thought
I'd give it a try.

Assuming core OS is all in a single lv.

Free space for snapshots in vg.

lvcreate -L8G -s -n rootsnapshot /dev/vol00/root ( in my case )

And to back out if needed -

lvconvert --merge /dev/vol00/rootsnapshot ; init 6

Granted I've had a back end running for 4 years now.  Never really had
a problem doing updates other then when changing MythtV releases
(tweaking etc...).

But if there was a major problem it would be a mad dash to get it
fixed cause the old lady would kill me.

Don't know how much simpler it can get; to get back to go.