[mythtv-users] Shaw Motorola DCT6412 captures HD but not SD channels via FireWire

Dave M craigslist.davem at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 06:04:32 UTC 2012

> >* On 25/02/12 18:39, Dave M wrote:*>>* Hi all,*>>**>>* I have a Motorola DCT6412 III box connected to Shaw Cable.*>>**>>* Firewire chipset is: FireWire (IEEE 1394): Agere Systems FW322/323 (rev 61)*>>**>>* In MythTV,  I can tune and capture all of the HD channels that I*>>* subscribe to.*>>**>>* However when I try to tune any SD channels, the tuning popup just says*>>* "100% Signal (TL__) Partial Lock." and stays there forever.*>>**>>* The cable box display shows the correct channel,  so at least the*>>* channel-change part seems to be working properly.*>>**>>* I have verified that 5C copy protection is not in effect-- all the*>>* channels are marked "Copy Free" in the cable box's info screen.*>>**>>* I've tried Point-to-Point and Broadcast mode with just about every*>>* different option for "Cable Box type"  and I've had the same result with*>>* every combination so far.*>>**>>* I previously had a different cable box on a different provider,  on the*>>* same PC and FW card,  and it worked flawlessly,   so I at least know*>>* that my FW setup works.*>>**>>* Does anyone have any more ideas of what to try here?   Please let me*>>* know if there are any relevant logs I should post.  The frontend log*>>* just showed a lot of "Waited 100ms for video buffers" messages.*>>**>>* Thanks in advance for your help.*
> This is a problem which has been experienced other Shaw cable users as
> well.  In addition to the 5C flag, you also need to check the CCI
> flag, which I am not very familiar with. Seehttp://digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=1285931 for more
> information, but unfortunately no resolutions.  To summarize that
> thread, it appears to be a issue on Shaw cable's end, and not your
> set-up.  Efforts to get the company to resolve the issue have not been
> successful, essentially because firewire is not officially supported.
>
> You definitely hit the nail on the head.  I didn't realize there was
another level of DRM there.  All of the channels that worked had CCI=0x00
(Copy freely),   all the ones I couldn't tune had CCI=0x02 (Copy Once).
 Copy Once only applies to DTCP-compliant devices,  which apparently don't
exist for PCs.

It's beyond me why they would bother to set this flag on the SD channels,
 but not on any of the HD versions of the exact same channel.  I've sent a
tweet to @Shawhelp but I don't expect much help,  if any.  As you know,
 FireWire outputs don't exist in Shaw's world.