[mythtv-users] CPU for a frontend

William Powers wepprop at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 23:59:25 UTC 2012

On Sat, Feb 25, 2012 at 10:15 AM, dave cunningham <ml at upsilon.org.uk> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> My current frontend is SD only with an Intel Little Falls board.
>
> This has been fine (if a little slow navigating menus) but I'm now
> moving to HD and so it's time to upgrade.
>
> The frontend is and will be fanless in a mCubed case. I'm running on a
> PicoPSU type power supply so am quite limited component wise.
>
> Where I am at is GT430 + 4GB RAM + either a G630T or i2100T (+ DVDR,
> net-boot).
>
> This frontend will be used exclusively DVB-T/T2/S/S2 FTV in the UK.
>
> Is there any reason as to why I should choose an i2100T over a G630T?
> (Conversely a G630T appears to be 50% cheaper than an i2100T here so
> that's the way I'm currently leaning).

I have tested a G620T, a G620 and an i3-2105 using OpenGL playback
over Intel HD Graphics and all worked fine.  This is with US OTA ATSC
1080i and 720p as well as HDPVR 1080i and 720p files. With a G620 (T
or otherwise), some of the OpenGL hardware deinterlacers wouldn't work
because Intel HD Graphics doesn't have enough hardware acceleration.
That would be about the only reason I can think to step up to an
i3-2100 (T or otherwise) with Intel HD Graphics 2000, but I found I
preferred the GreedyHighMotion,2x software deinterlacer anyway so that
wouldn't be a factor for me.  The G620 CPU's were pretty busy during
1080i playback using the software deinterlacer, but they weren't maxed
out.  IIRC, the G620 was just under 50% CPU and the G620T was just
over 50% cpu.

Even though the TDP of the G620 (no T) is 65 watts vice 35 for the
G620T, in my testing the G620 only runs a few watts higher under max
load (they both idle at the same power level.)

My suggestion is to get a G530 and save even more money and power.  If
you plan to run the Nvidia GT430 with VDPAU then the CPU isn't doing
anything anyway so it matters not.  If you're going to run processor
graphics then a G530 should be able to handle a good software
deinterlacer.  The only thing you'll miss out on might be one or more
of the OpenGL hardware deinterlacers.

Oh, and the stock heatsinks that come with the Sandy Bridge CPU's are
really, really low-profile and never seem to speed up enough to get
noisy so I wouldn't pay extra for an HSF without trying it first.