[mythtv-users] intel accelerated h264 encode on linux (was: MythTV Is Now Forked As Torc)

GZ gzornetzer.lists at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 07:11:57 UTC 2012

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 1:24 PM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:
> Then there are things like Intel Quicksync.  That's great and all, but
> completely useless to us until Intel releases Linux driver support for
> it.  Depending on licensing restrictions, that may never happen.  There

I found a couple of announcements suggesting that intel has released
the relevant code.  It seems that vaapi has an interface to allow for
accelerate encoding, and that intel has released the glue to make h264
encode work under linux.  They just don't seem to be calling it
quicksync.  Unfortunately, I know of no projects that actually use
this functionality.
Take a look at:
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=OTMxMg
In the latest libva distribution, there is some sample code in the in
the subdirectory test/encode.  Unfortunately, I don't have the
programming chops to really figure out those programs, and don't have
any sandy bridge hardware.
Here's the relevant commit to libva integrating sandy bridge encoding:
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libva/commit/?id=54d2648b0e7d53b82fe15e69e7c7fb912e11a403
More recent commits suggest that they've already got support for ivy
bridge's encoding hardware.
Thoughts?
-Greg