[mythtv-users] HDHR Prime, , Comcast, CableCard, no encrypted channels

Dale Pontius DEPontius at edgehp.net
Sat Feb 25 00:30:09 UTC 2012

On 02/24/2012 07:08 PM, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 20:37, Dale Pontius <DEPontius at edgehp.net> wrote:
>
>> You're right.  "Status: Not Staged"
>
> Status not staged can indicate various things, but
> most importantly, it means your card has not gotten
> one or more messages that it needs to get to move
> to "ready" status.
>
> As others have indicated, sometimes that can mean
> a bad card.  However, sometimes it can mean a
> bad configuration upstream.
>
>> I also see on one thread reference to a "DAC Init" or
>> possibly a "Grand Slam Init".  Are those various levels
>> of a "hit"?
>
> They are all various forms of resending activation and EMM
> messages (the names are internal slang for actions that
> the engineers perform, starting small, and ending with a
> sledgehammer).

<snip>

> Gary

Working now.  I just needed a second call to Comcast, explained what was
happening, and she took care of me.  She also gave me the "next level"
phone number, and told me to give it 45-60 minutes.  It worked.

I've found numerous scripts while searching around on this.  Some number
of them use the "hdhomerun_config" command line utility.  I was easily
able to find "hdhomerun_config_gui", but even with a bit more determined
searching haven't found the command line version.  I also tried passing
command-line parameters to the gui utility, just in case it was a case
of packaging.  I found a script that will detect channels that I can't
decrypt, either because of CC or presumably that I'm not not enabled
for.  But it depends on the command line utility.

Incidentally, I've already upgraded the firmware, prior to the second
call to Comcast.

I've also not yet enabled the third tuner.  The instructions on the web
made it look like you could either enter parameters for the third tuner
manually or copy one of the first two, then edit the database.  The
dialog didn't look willing to let me enter parameters manually.  Does
anyone have a script or utility?

While I'm asking quesions...
Which way does priority work, is more positive higher priority, or
lower?  Our living room TV is an old analog CRT, so HD is pretty much
worthless to me.  I never want it recording HD by default.  At the same
time, if something rare is on, I may want to record to watch on computer
or save for much later.  I tried fiddling with priorities earlier this
week when using my hvr-1600s, to prefer digital SD, record analog
otherwise, and only record HD when specifically requested, (VERY low
priority)  Yet it kept assigning recordings to HD even when the SD was
available.

Thanks