[mythtv-users] MythTV Frontend for Android released on Market

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Fri Feb 24 00:18:48 UTC 2012

On 2/23/2012 17:47, Marc Randolph wrote:
> I would have been happy to contribute over the past many years if not
> for the complexity of the code (threaded QT / C++).

I'm not sure if I believe that.  Typed languages are going to be
inherently more difficult to architect than untyped languages, but in a
lot of cases, the Qt framework makes that fairly painless.  Dealing with
segmentation faults is annoying, but with the fancy constructors and
destructors handling much of that in C++, you generally never run into
such issues until you start allocating "new" instances of things.
Threading is a pain, but a lot of things are event driven rather than
thread driven, and a lot more are going to be largely isolated, and
don't have to deal with the locking and communication issues that
typically cause threaded code to be difficult.

Simple things in C++ are going to be fairly easy to do, just like any
other language.  Similarly, complex things in C++ are going to be
difficult to do, but that holds true for any other language.  There are
plenty of low hanging bits that someone with a modest programming
background could start into.  There is just the stigma that "C++ is
hard" that scares people away.