[mythtv-users] Reliable channel changes on Dish network VIP 211k

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Feb 23 09:39:47 UTC 2012

On 02/22/2012 05:48 PM, Michael wrote:
> On 02/21/2012 03:04 PM, Jim Morton wrote:
>> When it fails what exactly does it do? Revert back the prev channel?
>> go to a nearby channel? drop You are watching the TV>>  Sat box during
>> testing right? Also you should be able to see the emitter flashing.
>> Put batteries in your remotes and see if they are reliable...
> Here is an example of the channel request and what I actually received:
>
> 107     107
> 10      10
> 107     107
> 10      3

Where you probably have no channel 1 in your subscription, and the IR
receiver on the STB likely received the 1, but didn't receive the 0, so
it acted as if you had tried to change to channel 1--which doesn't
exist--so it took you to the "closest" (or next highest or ...) channel
that is a part of your subscription, so you got channel 3.

> 107     107
> 10      10
> 129     129
> 110     129
> 110     3

And again....

> 107     118
>

> I got out the factory remote and tested and I get the correct channel
> every time ( in about 20 tested )

I suggest increasing the sleep time in your channel change script.  Is
it set to 0.4s?  If so, try increasing it to 0.6 or 0.8 or even 1.

Also, make sure you increase the capture cards's signal
and--especially--tuning timeout sufficiently to handle the longest
sequence of codes you will be sending in the channel change script *
sleep_time + a little extra.

Mike