[mythtv-users] OT: UPS

Steve Netting steve at moonfoundation.com
Wed Feb 22 12:42:48 UTC 2012

> Hi.
>
> I just bought an Eaton 3S UPS that I intend to use on my combined BE/FE.
>
> I have graceful shutdown on power failure working, but have not been able
> to get the BE/FE to boot when power returns.
> The BIOS is set to boot on power return, but the problem is that the UPS
> does not cut the power on the outlet after shutdown.
>
> I have installed their "Intelligent Power(r)Protector" software.
> I have used this to tell the UPS to cut off power but still it is on as
> long as the battery has power.
> Do I need to alter some other setting in this software?
>
> Is it possible that the UPS send some information on USB when power
> returns that can be used to boot or wake up the BE/FE?
>
> Is there some other software that will work better?
> I have found the Network UPS Tools,
> http://www.networkupstools.org/index.html but fail to see if this will
> solve my problem.
>
> I have tried to search on the net but have not found any good information.
> If anyone has experience with this or knows about good howtos or forums I
> would be very happy.

Hi Jens,

I don't have any specific experience with your UPS, but from past
experience with other brands I'm assuming it would squirt some data out of
the serial/USB connector when power returns.  Hence, you should be able to
configure your BIOS to 'wake on serial' or 'wake on USB'.

Otherwise, I'm sure someone else will provide some clues...

Steve