[mythtv-users] missing tv schedules

Gavin Hurlbut gjhurlbu at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 03:19:30 UTC 2012

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 7:01 PM, Michael Watson
<michael at thewatsonfamily.id.au> wrote:
> Where do you get it that it is ILLEGAL Software....  Wholesale cost from
> Global Hardware/Software distributor in Australia is $98 Inc GST,
> therefore cost of $115.00 on ebay is in now way cheap enough to be
> considered illegal software.

I guess you didn't read it carefully enough.  It was OEM licensed,
which means it is only licensed to be sold with a system.  Selling it
separately is against Microsoft's licence agreement, and hence the
software is not kosher.  "Wholesale" does not necessarily mean legal
either.  Microsoft (as much as I hate them as a company) has caught
companies in China counterfeiting their holograms even to make it look
like valid licensed software.  Just because some third party sold it
to you does NOT make it OK.

Anyways, MS products are a strawman.  The original question was EIT vs
Schedules Direct.  There is no comparison.  The data provided via
Schedules Direct is far better, and more of it.  And arguing that
$25/yr is too much, etc, is ridiculous.