[mythtv-users] alsa 1.0.24, 0.24.2-fixes, ubuntu lucid, hdmi audio, AC3/DTS not working

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 23:47:00 UTC 2012

Hi

On 22 February 2012 05:56, Pieter De Wit <pieter at insync.za.net> wrote:
> I can get all the options on "Card 8", but then I get no sound. I am
> wondering however if it has to do with the fact that I am using a TV card
> and not video. What I mean is that the sound might work if I play a video,
> not Live TV.

what you see on card 8 (or device 8 most likely) has no bearing on the
device number used by ALSA.

If you were to upgrade to mythtv 0.25 pre-pre-alpha (e.g. master now),
you would be able to see those details from within myth associated to
the right card.
Myth would also tell you if there's a device attached to a particular
hdmi output.

so there's no more guess work required in finding out which hdmi
device to use for the audio device (there's usually 3-4 hdmi devices
listed by alsa, where only one works)