[mythtv-users] MythTV Is Now Forked As Torc

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Tue Feb 21 22:49:09 UTC 2012

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 05:32:53PM -0500, Eric Sharkey wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 4:24 PM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:
> > Simple take away, live transcoding and "content negotiation" are not the
> > magical solution to all your content format woes.
>
> No one asked for a magical solution to fix everything and make any
> client be able to view any content.
>
> I can tell you that on my 3.0 GHz Core 2 Duo backend, the transcoding
> script I have for my cell phone runs faster than real time on 1080i
> mpeg2 input content recorded from Comcast via firewire/HDHR.  That

    That's a pretty low bar really. My original ATV could handle that
content on it's own. If not for the Hauppauge 1212, I would still be
using it. That box could also do a good job at handling divx too.

    Now that's been replaced with hardware that has problems dealing
with SD MPEG2 content. It needs another box hiding somewhere on the
network to do the heavy lifting. That box needs to be able to decode
a BluRay in software in order to cope with what the new ATV can't
handle.

    Past a certain point, it makes a lot more sense to just use a
faster CPU or better GPU or to just put the phantom box in plain
site and ditch the cheap but underpowered appliance.

    I just don't get the idea of using a $800 box to feed a $500 box
that can't decode stuff on it's own just to relay that to another $100
box that can't decode stuff on it's own either.