[mythtv-users] Reliable channel changes on Dish network VIP 211k

Michael mythtv at blandford.net
Tue Feb 21 21:28:45 UTC 2012

On 02/21/2012 02:18 PM, Jim Morton wrote:
> On 2/21/2012 4:08 PM, Michael wrote:

>>> One thing to note with Dish is that the Dish guide can be toggled
>>> between HD Only, Subscribed Channels and All Channels. You need
>>> to set it on Subscribed channels and then hide the remote.
>>> I learned the hard way that if it is set to HD Only and Myth
>>> tries to tune a non-HD channel it goes the the nearest HD channel
>>> and Myth happily records the wrong channel.
>>>
>> Thanks for the input.  I don't think this is my issue at least.  My
>> receivers are actually in a closet and the remotes don't even have
>> batteries in them.
>>
>> if a channel change is missed when testing with livetv, I can just go to
>> the same channel again until it works.  It usually works the second or
>> third time.
>>
>> Michael
> Next suggestion - try manually running the channel changer script a bunch
> of times, using different channels, looking for some pattern to the problem.

That is exactly what I have been doing for my testing.  So far I haven't
detected any particular pattern.

There do seem to be a few problematic channels like our local channel 12
or Bravo.  Those seem to fail more often but I don't have any idea why.
If I just ran the channel script again they will usually tune.

In my testing I have been just cycling between 4-5 of the most popular
channels we use from the satellite and within a few cycles one channel
will fail.

It does seem like it is often many seconds before the channel actually
changes.  This is well after the channel change script has completed.  I
am assuming that is due to the buffering to disk before display.

Michael