[mythtv-users] Can I play music on 2 frontend simultaneously ?

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 08:25:44 UTC 2012

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 3:50 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 11:01 AM, nemo <myth797 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 20/02/12 21:53, Robert Longbottom wrote:
>>

>> On 20 Feb 2012, at 09:32 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Squeezeboxserver does this well but of course you need their hardware. I am
>> not sure how well sync works with the software players.
>>
>> Sync between their hardware players is absolutely superb!  I've not tried
>> their software players recently, but when I tried them a few years ago it
>> wasn't quite there. Maybe they have improved in the later releases.
>>
>> Robert.
>>
>> Works fine here with 2 hardware players and one software one (squeezeslave).
>>
>> From memory the restriction is that only one software player can be synced
>> at a time - but I may be out of date with that.
>
> OK I compiled squeezeslave on my frontend today but will have to wait
> until i get home to test it.
>
> I followed the instructions here:
>
> http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/SqueezeSlave
>
> Only problem I perceive is that the frontend connects to a receiver
> via spdif and the two hardware players don't. The digital connection
> MIGHT introduce a small delay.

OK that worked fine, and the addition of the Logitech Z5500 via the
frontend certainly adds some oomph to the sound. (there's a sure way
of getting rid of kids from the lounge, play Hot Rats by Frank Zappa
up loud.)

So my frontend is a Revo 3700 with the spdif output to the Logitech
Z5500 and squeezeslave 1.2-311 downloaded from svn today and compiled
on ubuntu 10.04LTS. It seems to be in sync with the squeezebox classic
at the other end of the room (attached via RCA to powered audioengine
speakers). The Squeezebox Boom in the bedroom also seems to be synced
well, but a bit harder to hear.

we are having a few people round tomorrow to mark the earthquake
anniversary, i will seek out some better ears for a more thorough
investigation.