[mythtv-users] Can I play music on 2 frontend simultaneously ?

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Mon Feb 20 21:15:58 UTC 2012

On 2/20/2012 15:41, Thomas Carrié wrote:
> I am new to MythTV, my goal is to play music simultaneously on the Hi-Fi
> Amplifier of the living room and the Amplifier of the bedroom.

Yes.  You can play music on both frontends simultaneously.
No.  There is no mechanism to maintain synchronization of playback for
two independent frontends.

You either need to have a single, central playback device, with audio
lines run to both amps, or you will need to develop some synchronization
mechanism to keep playback of both frontends in lock-step.  Note, the
ear is very good at picking out delayed audio.  For a muted echo,
anything within a few dozen ms would likely be sufficient.  If both
sources are at the same perceived volume, more than a couple ms will be bad.

The brain doesn't like when an echo is too loud.  It's competing range
cues, and you can't unconsciously ignore it.  It's the same reason why
stereoscopic TV, with variable convergence but static focus, gives many
people headaches.