[mythtv-users] Starting MythTV

Yianni Vidalis yiannividalis at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 17 21:40:30 UTC 2012

From: duncang92 at yahoo.com
To: mythtv-users at mythtv.org
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 16:19:11 -0500
Subject: [mythtv-users] Starting MythTV

Can I apologise for being a N00B? I’ve looked everywhere and can’t find out what my prob is. I have successfully installed and can run MythTV under XBMC and I love it. The problem I have is that mysql doesn’t start unless I manually enter the following in a terminal …. What do I have to do to get it to “autostart”? I know it’s cos mysqld.sock doesn’t exist although I keep creating and re-creating it but after every reboot it’s gone. Sudo –sMkdir /var/run/mysqldTouch /var/run/mysqld.mysqld.sockChown Duncan /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sockChown –R Duncan /var/run/mysqld/Mysqld And then in another terminal run “mythbackend” Thanks in advance, Duncan

Your distribution (Ubuntu,Mythbuntu,opensuse, etc) should have respective startup scripts that take care of these steps for you.
Type:
$ sudo /etc/init.d/mysql start
and it will start the daemon, taking care of all these.

To check if it set to start automatically on boot (it won't be in your case), type
$ sudo /sbin/chkconfig mysql

It should reply
mysql off

To have it run automatically at startup, type
$ sudo /sbin/chkconfig mysql on

If you installed mythtv from packages and not compiled it from source, you can do the same with the mythbackend.

Welcome!

Yianni.