[mythtv-users] MythTV Is Now Forked As Torc

Christopher Kerr mythtv at theseekerr.com
Thu Feb 16 14:14:28 UTC 2012

On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 1:07 AM, Tom Lichti <tom at redpepperracing.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 7:42 AM, Tim Draper <veehexx at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 16 February 2012 12:15, Doug Lytle <support at drdos.info> wrote:
>>> This is news to me:
>>>
>>> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTA1Nzg
>>>
>>> Doug
>>>
>>> --
>>
>> interesting (if true). although it does beg the question; why fork it?
>> mythtv has a very good reputation, and i found it alot more cutting
>> edge than most HTPC software out there. would it make more sense to
>> call "torc", myth 0.26... or maybe myth 0.30, and consider <0.30 the
>> 'legacy' code, and >=0.30 whatever this "Torc" project aims for.
>>
>> maybe phoronix has it wrong. maybe mythtv will stay as it is, and torc
>> is for another specific purpose that is yet to be disclosed?
>
> It's been forked by Mark Kendall, who is (was?) a very active
> developer, mostly around the video output portion. Seems odd...

Looks a lot to me like some of the developers are just keen to work on
ambitious features despite the 0.25 feature freeze...

I really doubt it's intended as a true fork from the mythtv project,
commits like removal of external player support are very consistent
with the stated aims of 0.26+

I'm sure Mark or Robert will drop by to explain sooner or later - in
the event that it IS a genuine fork of the project, their user base
would be...us.

- Chris