[mythtv-users] Dual HDPVR and Motorola STB question.

Michael mythtv at blandford.net
Thu Feb 16 04:47:24 UTC 2012

On 02/15/2012 09:23 PM, Michael wrote:
> On 02/15/2012 05:52 PM, Gerald Brandt wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> A few years back, I purchased two Hauppaage HDPVR units, even though
>> I had only one Motorola Cable unit.
>>
>> It's been running perfectly with Mythbuntu 10.10, changing channels
>> over firewire.
>>
>> I now have a second Motorola STB, and want to get everything
>> working.  Is there issues I should watch out for (dev/video0 and
>> dev/video1 switching HDPVR's, etc).
>>
>> Would I be better off using a slave to run the second HDPVR?

The comments in my previous response made it hard to read the important
stuff.

#HDPVR - hdpvr1
KERNEL=="video?",SUBSYSTEM=="video4linux",ATTRS{serial}=="00A4FCD7",
SYMLINK+="v
4l/hdpvr1"

#HDPVR - hdpvr3
KERNEL=="video?",SUBSYSTEM=="video4linux",ATTRS{serial}=="00A4FC32",
SYMLINK+="v
4l/hdpvr3"

Then point to /dev/v4l/hdpvr1 or /dev/v4l/hdpvr3 for example

And as George noted, you can find the serial numbers using:

udevadm info --name=/dev/path/to/hdpvr --attribute-walk

Now you can plug them in and the order doesn't matter.  The hdpvr will
stay associated to the right cable box and will stay in order so mythtv
doesn't get confused.

Michael