[mythtv-users] MythTv BE/FE go to sleep but doesn't wake up

ganassa ganassa at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 16:28:43 UTC 2012

2012/2/15 David Watkins <watkinshome at gmail.com>

> On 15 February 2012 11:53, ganassa <ganassa at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I turned off NTPD because it's the only known "element" on my BE/FE - as
> far
> > as I know - that is able to change date/time settings on my BE/FE.
> > I really don't know how time could change with this behaviour.
> >
> > What is happening know is:
> > - sometimes the BE is waking up 2 hours earlier comparing to what's
> > scheduled - reporting in log 1 hour earlier -  , then turning off before
> the
> > recording and, after that, it will never wake up again.
>
> I had problems like this once.  It was a long time ago but I think it
> was related to localtime vs UTC.  Doesn't ACPI use UTC (which is
> esentially the same as GMT)?  Anyway I remember I modified the
> shutdown script to log the wakeup time that it was setting and with
> that information I was able to work out what was going on.

ACPI should use UTC, I did all the check suggests in the Wiki (see the
first post of this thread) and everything should be ok, my BIOS is
UTC-compatible

> > - other times the BE is waking up correctly. This happens always when
> I'm at
> > home and looking at it :)
>
> Is it conceivable that it's waking up two hours early for a *later*
> recording, and coincidentally getting the correct time for the current
> one?

That's what I can remember at now:
- during the initial tests, made with some recording scheduled in ~30
minutes, everything went ok
- the day after I've scheduled 3 programs:
the first at 12.30 - BE woke up and recorded
the second at 16.30 - BE didn't wake up
the third at 19.00 - BE didn't wake up

it stopped waking up. After I woke up manually, it shuts down and later
woke up and recorded a further scheduling made for 21.30.
So, it looked like that: after the 1st wake up, it didn't scheduler
correctly anymore

- the third day, I realized there was some problems. I tried disabling
NTPD, made some early-tests and then, at 00:41 I let him shut down. I've
checked the wake-up scheduling - by logging the setwakeup.sh parameter in
mythbackend.log (see previous mail) - and it was set up for 12.30. Instead,
as said, it woke up at 10.30, telling (in the syslog) that it was 11.30,
and shutdown about 11.20.

This thing is getting me mad :)