[mythtv-users] preview generation now starts on marking on watch

Vincent McIntyre vincent.mcintyre at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 02:26:53 UTC 2012

On 2/15/12, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
...deletia...

> Oh, and as an aside...
>
> We need more settings!  People just might figure out how combinations of
> our current ones actually work, and no one wants users to have working
> systems.
>
> (which is my way of apologizing for the mess of settings that confuse
> you, the users of MythTV)

This discussion reminded me of a question I had - I've seen quite a
few issues discussed on the list where it seemed that it would help to
have a comprehensive dump (.txt, .xml perhaps) of all the settings
that are shown to the user in mythfrontend or mythv-setup, preferably
through a simple user interface (--dump-settings argument or 'dump
settings' button somewhere). I'm not aware of how I would do this if
asked, what am I missing?
Are people supposed to turn on 'all' logging and hope that somehow
shows what the settings are when they exercise the problem code?

I don't know the code so I don't know the obstacles to adding such a
feature, aside from the usual time/interest constraints. But I wonder
if the developers would find it useful.

Cheers
Vince