[mythtv-users] Adding an SSD to my MBE -- partitioning question

Mark J. Small msmall at eastlink.ca
Mon Feb 13 14:32:00 UTC 2012

Hi everybody,

I'm getting ready to add a small  (30 GB) SSD to my Master Backend.  Lot's of
folks say that this will speed things up quite nicely.  I'm just wondering
about the best way to partition things.

Right now I have two regular HDs.

/dev/sda2              99G   67G   28G  71% /
/dev/sda1             228M   13M  204M   6% /boot
/dev/sda4             825G  653G  173G  80% /mnt/store

plus a swap partition

The second has just this:
/dev/sdb2             625G  454G  171G  73% /mnt/store2
and about 80 GB of unpartitioned space.

In the root filesystem on sda2, 60 GB of the 67 used reside in /mnt.  /usr and
/var have about 3 GB each

I was thinking about moving the root file system to the SSD  and turning sda2
into /mnt.

In previous discussions about SSD's some folks suggested moving /tmp off the
SSD to keep it from wearing out, especially when there isn't a lot of spare
RAM to help mysql when the scheduler is run.  I was planning on using some of
the unpartitioned space on sdb for this.

Does all of this sound reasonable, or am I missing something?

Thanks,

Mark