[mythtv-users] warning for anyone with western digital green drives

Jeff Siddall news at siddall.name
Sat Feb 11 00:37:41 UTC 2012

On 02/09/2012 04:53 PM, Matthew Daubenspeck wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 04:15:54AM -0500, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> I'll be passing over any of their green drives from now on.

That's your choice, but as a counterpoint for anyone else reading this
thread I have a bunch of WD Green (ie: cheap) and a bunch of WD RE2
non-GP (expensive) drives and have experienced 0 failures of the GPs and
80% failure rate on the RE2s.

And in case anyone thinks it's just that WD is terrible, 50% of my
Seagate ES2 drives have also failed.

Bottom line: anecdotal evidence is useless.  You can get a bad batch of
any brand or model of drive.  Your best defense against failures in a
RAID array is to mix and match batches and models.

Jeff