[mythtv-users] Temporal 2x vs Temporal-Spatial 2x

William Powers wepprop at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 17:54:29 UTC 2012

On Feb 10, 2012, at 10:59 AM, Neil Cooper <neilcoo at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> I have a 520 too. I have it set at Advanced, 2X for everything and have never noticed any dropped frames on any content (tv recordings: analog, 720p and 1080i),and DVD and blu-ray (1080p).
> Actually that makes me wonder if mythtv is actually using those settings for all types of playback.

I can't speak to video, DVD or blu-ray playback because I only use Myth to play recorded TV: OTA ATSC mpeg-2, NTSC SD mpeg-2 and HDPVR h.264. Nor can I speak to PAL or any other TV standard outside the U.S.

However, if the primary playback scheme fails for any reason, Myth will silently fallback to a working method. If your screen won't support 2X playback, it will fallback to 1X playback. If vdpau won't initialize, it will fallback to OpenGL, Xv or even shared memory. Some of those methods may not stress your CPU very much, so the only way to be absolutely certain what is going on is 'mythfrontend -v playback > playback.log' then dig through the resulting file.