[mythtv-users] Temporal 2x vs Temporal-Spatial 2x

Neil Cooper neilcoo at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Feb 10 16:59:01 UTC 2012

--- On Fri, 2/10/12, William Powers <wepprop at gmail.com> wrote:

> From: William Powers <wepprop at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Temporal 2x vs Temporal-Spatial 2x
> To: "Discussion about MythTV" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
> Date: Friday, February 10, 2012, 6:24 AM
> On Feb 9, 2012, at 9:44 PM, Jean-Yves
> Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Nonsense... Anything over 60 fps output is all you
> need.
> > 1080i is 30fps, and what comes out from Advanced 2X is
> 60fps, no more, no less.
>
> Yes, but but you need that > 60 fps on every type of
> program and qvdpautest only tests one short clip.  My
> experience has been that I will get a noticeable amount of
> dropped frames on some material if the qvdpautest result for
> mixer temporal_spatial is less than ~75 fps or so. That's
> why I stick with Temporal,2X with my 520 even though
> qvdpautest says it will do 67 fps. The difference between
> Advanced,2X and Temporal,2X is subtle, at most. Playback
> glitches are not.
>
> Interestingly, with the standard decoder and with
> vdpauskipchroma set, my 520 will do Advanced,2X
> reliably.  However, since I personally have yet to see
> a single frame that was clearly better with advanced than
> with temporal, I have just decided not to obsess about it.

I have a 520 too. I have it set at Advanced, 2X for everything and have never noticed any dropped frames on any content (tv recordings: analog, 720p and 1080i),and DVD and blu-ray (1080p).
Actually that makes me wonder if mythtv is actually using those settings for all types of playback.

Another question: I ran the qvdpautest and confirmed I was getting similar figures to everyone else.

The wierd thing is that on the third test (H.264 1080 I believe, the one where the test result is only 4fps) the image was just a bunch of green blocks like it couldn't decode it.
Am I missing a codec or is that to be expected?

I was under the impression that full-rate H.264 decoding completely in hardware was a given with all newer GPUs.

...and if qvdpautest is claiming my GPU can't even do H.264 1080... how am I watching blu-ray's OK? (top shows the cpu usage is negligible when watching blu-rays so the decode apparently isn't being done by the CPU).

Thanks,
Neil Cooper.