[mythtv-users] OT: NIC going away.

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Fri Feb 10 04:21:09 UTC 2012

On 02/08/2012 06:55 PM, Keith Pyle wrote:
> On 02/08/12 06:00, mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org wrote:
>> ate: Tue, 07 Feb 2012 22:07:25 -0500
>> From: "R. G. Newbury"<newbury at mandamus.org>
>> Subject: [mythtv-users] OT: NIC going away.
>> To: Mythtv-Users<mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
>>
>> The network has started to fail mysteriously in my mythbox.  No messages
>> of any sort: all contact with outside units fails. "hdhomerun_config
>> discover" returns 'no devices found'.
>>
>> And nothing seemed to bring the network back except a re-boot.
> I'll play ObviousMan here.  When the connection has failed, do you have
> link lights on both ends of the connection?

Yes. Which is really odd.

  If so, do you see any
> activity lights if you ping the interface?

Due to the physical location, I can't see that.

> Try comparing the output of
> "ethtool eth0" during the working and non-working cases.  Specifically,
> do you see "Link detected: yes"?

ethtool sees nothing. There is no link there for it to see.

The problem has now been fixed. I borrowed a USB<>NIC unit for one
night. Then today, I put in a PCIE NIC card.

And things are back to the way they were.

Geoff

___