[mythtv-users] FCC proposal

Ben Kamen bkamen at benjammin.net
Fri Feb 10 01:02:04 UTC 2012

On 2012-02-09 6:19 PM, Josh Mastronarde wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 3:17 PM, Ben Kamen <bkamen at benjammin.net <mailto:bkamen at benjammin.net>> wrote:
>     -- so they can go right ahead and encourage yet even MORE people to switch back to OTA or just switch to all streaming viewing.
> They'll address the latter by ratcheting down the bandwidth limits (complete with rigged statistics that it appear that only "hackers" use more than N GB/month so "normal" people shouldn't care.), with an exemption for their own $$$ streaming service...

My understanding is that they're doing that already.

ComCast (evil as they may be) still has one of the highest caps of the caps (250GB/month for residential) -- unless someone knows of better... I've hear TW and Charter are much lower.

That will probably come under FCC scrutiny at some point.

It amazes me that people tend to forget that modem CATV companies have a franchise agreement with the cities they operate in. These agreements do usually have time limits -- and when they run out... the city can bargain for something better. no?

  -Ben