[mythtv-users] Temporal 2x vs Temporal-Spatial 2x

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 17:40:15 UTC 2012

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 11:25 AM, John Pilkington <J.Pilk at tesco.net> wrote:
> On 09/02/12 15:47, Steven Adeff wrote:
>> On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 9:14 AM, Jean-Yves Avenard<jyavenard at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>> Hi

>>> The difference is noticeable in fast moving game.
>>>
>>> I remember a few years ago when VDPAU came out and I was experimenting.
>>>
>>> Where the difference was most noticeable was during a basketball game.
>>>
>>> With Advanced 2X, the ball could be seen flying across the screen.
>>> With Temporal 2X, it was more like a blurr..
>>>
>>> Having said that, the difference is subtle, and I went back to using
>>> the built-in 9400M IGP instead of the external NVidia 220GT (which
>>> does Advanced 2X).
>>>
>>> Because at the end of the day, I was more keen on power saving and
>>> total silence.
>>>
>>> On my backend/HD projector frontent, I use a GT430, honnestly, that
>>> card is quiet as ... and it does HD audio
>>
>> I think people here are mixing up the ability to decode various
>> codecs, the different VDPAU "levels", and the ability to properly do
>> the various deinterlace methods, particularly Advanced 2x.
>>
>> I don't think anything lower than 100 for the MIXER TEMPORAL_SPATIAL
>> is worthy of using Advanced 2x for sports on a larger screen, you'll
>> get noticeable hiccups.
>>
>> It looks like from the "VDPAU testing tool thread" on nvnews that the
>> 220, 240 and 8800 are the kings of processing 1080i content.
>>
>> The 400 and higher series do have newer VDPAU versions which allow for
>> decoding of more advanced codecs, and have the "HD" audio pass through
>> ability. The higher end cards in the 500 line have respectable MIXER
>> TEMPORAL_SPATIAL performance, but they're expensive.
>>
>> If MythTV ever supports PBP with VDPAU the MIXER TEMPORAL_SPATIAL will
>> be even more important and cards with anything less than 150 will not
>> be good for larger TV's and sports content.
>>
>> Fermi is apparently the worst thing to happen to video playback.
>>

> I'm making a habit of being confused today:  we're still talking about
> 50 or 60 Hz frame transfer rates here, aren't we?  So you're saying that
> good VDPAU can deliver individual frames at 50/60 Hz that are sharp, but
> maybe the display box is interpolating too to refresh the display at a
> higher rate?  Otherwise, and without direct visual experience, it all
> sounds a bit too much like magic.

not all content is interlaced. content frame rate and display rate are
not related for the purpose of this conversation. To my knowledge,
none of the high frequency display rate displays will accept an
interlaced signal at greater than 60hz, though they may be able to for
progressive signals as a way of connecting to a PC with a higher
output rate?

the ability for VDPAU to decode a frame from the original encoded
source is one thing, it's ability to perform transforms on them
(scaling, deitnerlacing, inverse telecine, etc) is a separate ability.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!