[mythtv-users] Some successes...EPG, IR Remote and making it work

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 02:46:57 UTC 2012

On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 8:43 AM, David Sims <simsdw56 at comcast.net> wrote:
> Dear MythTV Community,
>
> I have some successes to share with my experimenting on MythTV...
>
> 1) Switched over to using Schedules Direct for the EPG.  Did not want to do
> this as all I needed was a temporary service while I play around with
> MythTV.  Two weeks is not long enough when only playing with this stuff on
> the weekends and after my full time job.  May need to work on this again a
> little bit later.  Also did not want to violate any licensing agreements.
>
> 2) Got the lircd.conf and hardware.conf files corrected last night and the
> utility (irw) now shows the key presses on my TIVO remote from Nero's liquid
> TV.
> The answer was in the hardware.conf file settings.  Needed to change the
> LOAD_MODULES=true to LOAD_MODULES=false!  I have a Hauppauge 750Q tuner and
> it does not need the kernel modules loaded in order to work.

I can't see a 750Q on their website, is it a 950Q?

if so is it set up for analogue or digital?

> 3) I scheduled a program to record and it seems to have done that recording.
> At least I have a 93 MB .nuv file in my videos directory.

Well you could try watching it with mplayer, seeing you seem to have
that working.

However a digital tuner will NOT produce .nuv files, not sure what the
analogue side of the card will produce as I left analogue behind years
ago.

> Not sure exactly
> how to go about watching this recording as the rest of the MythFrontEnd does
> not seem to work for me.  I can use mplayer to watch live tv but this has to
> have the MythBackEnd shutdown when using.  Seems that I have a lot of the
> background pieces working now but the Front End is still being a little
> elusive.  Anyone have suggestions on this?

yes:

1. work your way through the installation, including ALL pages in
mythtv-setup (except system events which you don't need)

2. when asking for help give us some more info. log files. distro.
what you are trying to tune to (the 950Q, if thats what you have) does
(a)NTSC Analog Cable, Over the Air TV
(b)ATSC Digital Over the Air HDTV
(c)Clear QAM Digital Cable TV