[mythtv-users] Backend log stopped logging

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Feb 7 22:23:36 UTC 2012

On 02/07/2012 04:55 PM, William Otten wrote:
> On 2/7/2012 3:49 PM, William Otten wrote:
>>> You'd need to provide some more information--at minimum, which MythTV
>>> version you're using (and, probably, which distro/packages)--for us to
>>> do more than guess, but it's likely a problem with either file system
>>> permissions or you upgraded to unstable/development code without reading
>>> about what's changed/configuring for the new version.
>>>
>>> Once you fix the underlying problem, just restart mythbackend, and
>>> you'll have log files.
>> Sorry I have posted so much here lately...thought everyone knew...my
>> mistake
>> Using:
>> ubuntu 11.10 64 bit
>> Mythtv master - latest. Upgraded from ver 24 around the time the
>> logging stopped.
> What should the permissions be for the mythbackend.log? Also what should
> the permissions be for all the log files?

Assuming you're using mythbuntu packages for MythTV, they have
configured mythbackend startup to use syslog logging (
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Category:Syslog_Configuration_Files ).  The
rsyslog configuration is probably
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Rsyslog_Configuration .

Karl Dietz noticed that there were issues with Ubuntu's directory
permissions/rsyslog user and group/the rsyslog configuration file's
using mythtv for file and directory.  Since I'm using a different
distro, I'm not the best person to help you fix the issues--but I will
ask that someone document exactly what changes need to be made so that
the Mythbuntu developers can update the rsyslog configuration in their
packages (and then an Ubuntu user can update the rsyslog config on the
wiki) so that it will just work for Ubuntu users who upgrade.

So, first, please send the output of:

ls -ld /var/log/mythtv{,/*}

and, if you don't mind:

ls -ld /var/log{,/*}

and:

ls -l /etc/rsyslog.d/*myth*

(I'm assuming you haven't changed any permissions on any of your logging
configuration/log files, right?  If so the output from the above
commands should show Ubuntu's "pre-MythTV package" configuration.)

Then, see the conversation at:
http://irc.mythtv.org/ircLog/channel/1/2011-09-09:04:16:49/2011-09-09:05:00:52

Thanks,
Mike