[mythtv-users] dtv_multiplex.transmission_mode data type with BBC QAM-256 DVB-T2 streams

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Tue Feb 7 21:58:52 UTC 2012

On 06/02/12 21:44, nemo wrote:

>>> I'm working my way through what's turning out to be a fairly painful
>>> build of a replacement/upgraded server using a Blackgold BGT3650 quad
>>> dvb-t2 card.

> The problem is that the card doesn't seem to switch very well between SD
> &  HD (or indeed sometimes between SD muxes). It seems however to work
> better with mplayer if I have a channels.conf that says
> TRANSMISSION_MODE_32K rather than TRANSMISSION_MODE_AUTO and it'd be
> good to make a similar comparison in myth.
>
> At the moment I have it configured with two channel sources - one for
> all the SD channels (3 inputs) and one for the HD ones (1 input). I
> still get too many failed recordings though, but I think that problem
> lies elsewhere.

I'm reposting this because the first attempt seems to have vanished.
Apologies if it arrives in duplicate.

I'm not familiar with this device but I wonder if you have it set up,
and are using it, to properly take advantage of the multirec feature of
MythTV.

One HD tuner should be able to record simultaneously, if you wish, from
all of the HD Channels; no 'Channel switching' is required.  Similarly,
one SD tuner can record simultaneously from more than one channel on a
selected multiplex.  I suspect that the card will be unaware of exactly
how Myth is dissecting out the channels that you want from the transport
stream that it provides from a given tuner receiving a single mux.

You set up multirec from the 'Recording Options' screen in the Cards
section of mythtvsetup; the default number of 'virtual tuners' will
probably be 2 for each of what you will probably see called 'Adapters'
but I have most of mine set to 4. TTBOMK the disadvantage of using a
larger number is that scheduling takes longer, and of course you might
run into disc-throughput problems if you record too enthusiastically.

HTH

John P