[mythtv-users] Long-postponed MySQL upgrades - pitfalls?

Dale Pontius DEPontius at edgehp.net
Mon Feb 6 00:57:03 UTC 2012

Are there any pitfalls to upgrading MySQL from 5.0 to 5.1 or 5.5?
Can this be achieved with a pair of binary upgrades? (5.0->5.1, then 5.1
-> 5.5)  Or will I just have to drop and reload?

Back about the time of the MythTV upgrade from 0.21 to 0.22, Gentoo also
moved MySQL from 5.0 to 5.1.  I masked both until I was good and ready
to spend some time on it.  First I upgraded MythTV from 0.21 to 0.22.
That was an adventure in itself, because I had a "partially corrupted"
database, and took a bit of work to get through.

After that, I kind of forgot about MySQL.

Recently Gentoo announced that both 5.0 and 5.1 versions were being
masked for various problems, and I should be running 5.5.  I guess I
shouldn't ignore this any more.

Is it possible to make these upgrades without dropping and reloading the
database?  In other words, can it upgrade the binary database?  If it
can, I presume that I should upgrade first from 5.0 to 5.1, then from
5.1 to 5.5.  If it can't upgrade the binary database, is there any point
in pausing at 5.1?  If I have to drop/reload, shouldn't I just go
directly from 5.0 to 5.5?

Thanks,
Dale Pontius