[mythtv-users] unable to connect to backend on localhost

Ken Dreyer ktdreyer at ktdreyer.com
Sat Feb 4 20:08:02 UTC 2012

On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 10:52 PM, Jeff Siddall <news at siddall.name> wrote:
> FWIW I just upgraded my master backend from CentOS5 to SL6.1 and am
> seeing this same issue with no firewall running.

Yesterday I finally came up with a viable workaround (for me, anyway).
I set up a minimal CentOS 6 chroot within /chroot, then installed
mythtv-backend into that. When I run mythbackend inside the chroot, it
is unable to connect with the systemwide dbus daemon, but it can still
communicate with mysqld and mythfrontend over TCP/IP.

Regarding disk space, I created a 4GB logical volume for the chroot,
but everything is currently only taking up 850 MB, so I could have
probably gone for 2GB without problems. (I have the mythtv
"recordings" directory on an altogether separate logical volume that I
also mount within the chroot.)

It's certainly not optimal, but I'm not a DBus/Qt hacker so I don't
know what else to do.

- Ken