[mythtv-users] spare backend for emergenciens

Petteri pjokinen at lavabit.com
Thu Feb 2 10:30:28 UTC 2012

01.02.2012 21:29, Kevin Johnson kirjoitti:
> I would like something that is easily switched on by a novice user.

How unreliable your master backend is? I have installed a mythtv system
with many frontends to my parents house and "it just works" for weeks or
months without problems.

Start mythbackend with script like this:

while [ 1 ]
do
   mythbackend
   sleep 5
done

Then configure power button to reboot the server and tell users to press
it if the backend seems to hang (or use some monitoring software to
reboot) and install watchdog timer to "press" reset if the server is
really stuck. This configuration should recover from almost all problems
with minimal hassle.

Petteri