[mythtv-users] [OT] LCD TV or LCD Monitor for Front-end

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 03:18:22 UTC 2012

On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 10:26 AM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 2:45 PM, John Welch <jrw3319 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> My question is
>> do I get another LCD TV, or are the LCD monitors that are out there now as
>> good or better for what I need?
>
> I have three LCD TVs now.  (24", 37", and 52".)  Only the 52" has the
> ability to turn off overscan when using a digital input (HDMI).  Both
> of my smaller sets insist on overscanning the image which absolutely
> sucks for anything that isn't video (and only mostly sucks for video).
>  Luckily both these sets have VGA input and don't force an overscan on
> VGA.
>
> Anything marketed as a monitor will not overscan the input.  With TVs
> it's a bit of a crap shoot.  It's just something else to keep in mind.

I made them get the manual out of the box for my LG tv to make sure
you could turn off overscan, which meant they had to put a cd in a
computer in the shop and open a pdf file (whats with the lack of trees
in the box these days?)

I also, to confirm my findings, googled from my android and found
there were mostly good reports in the interweb about LG having the
ability to turn off overscan.

Saved going miles home to research on the net and then coming back to buy.