[mythtv-users] jabber - is it being used by mythtv?

Jeremy Jones jeremy.dwain.jones at gmail.com
Mon Dec 31 17:31:42 UTC 2012

On Mon, Dec 31, 2012 at 11:12 AM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 12/31/2012 11:46 AM, Jeremy Jones wrote:
>>
>> I am running Mythbuntu 12.04 (mythtv 0.25) as a backend.  I recently
>> installed an untangle box to protect/control home internet use. In
>> looking over some of the reports I see jabber being blocked from my
>> myth backend, but I don't know what is using it.
>

> When you say, "see jabber being blocked," do you mean you see communications
> on a specific port being blocked or?

Specifically, I mean that the "Application Control Lite" module of
Untangle logged an event witch it listed the protocol as "Jabber
(XMPP)" .  I think that the untangle software is actually looking at
more than just the ports being used.

Anyway, upon further investigation it looks like my computer in
question is trying to connect to a google server using the flagged
protocol.  I probably should have done a whois on the ip address
before posting.  Sorry.

Thanks for the quick help to both of you.

Jeremy