[mythtv-users] Digital tv channels and SchedulesDirect

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Dec 31 15:56:29 UTC 2012

On 11/29/2012 12:25 PM, Mike Atkinson wrote:
> Okay, brand new to digital tv here (our local cable company just
> switched to all digital).   I have scanned for channels on my HVR-1600
> card and found them.   The problem is they are listed as 23-1 or 51-7
> and the like, whereas schedules direct lists them as the old 3-78
> range so no programming information shows up.
>
> I've looked at the page on the wiki, however it was apparently written
> for an older version of mythtv as it references fields that no longer
> exists in the tables.
>
> So, how do I get my program guide information to sync up when the
> channel numbers on the lineup are wrong?

Channel number is irrelevant in a properly-configured MythTV system.
The problem you're facing is that you didn't configure your system, so
MythTV isn't using the listings data from Schedules Direct.

After you scan for channels, it is your responsibility to set the XMLTV
ID of each channel you want to keep.  You do that in mythtv-setup's
channel editor on the 2nd screen (IIRC) of each channel (or using
MythWeb's channel editor).  You can find the XMLTV IDs by logging in to
the Schedules Direct website and clicking the Report button by your
lineup, and using the XMLid column.  Once you provide the XMLTV ID for
each of your channels, mythfilldatabase will use the listings data.

What you're seeing is that mythfilldatabase is unable to automatically
*guess* which channel is which because the lineup's channel information
differs from your ("real"/current) channel information.  Therefore,
rather than wait for Schedules Direct/TMS to update your lineup, just
finish configuring your channels by assigning the proper XMLTV ID...

FWIW, I /never/ trust mythfilldatabase to guess which channel is which.
Especially when using MythWeb's one-page channel editor, it's very easy
to configure the channels properly--at which point I know (rather than
hope) that they're /all/ configured properly (because it wasn't done
behind my back by a computer making guesses).

Mike