[mythtv-users] Schedules Direct Service for OTA Coverage

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Dec 31 14:47:18 UTC 2012

On 12/31/2012 12:08 AM, R. G. Newbury wrote:
> On 12/23/2012 01:08 AM, Joseph Fry wrote:
>>
>>         I have a channel lineup for my area based on Antenna coverage. I
>>         also
>>         have a amplified directional antenna that picks up some
>>         programming that
>>         would normally be outside the normal reception scope of the
>> average
>>         Antenna. Is there a way to extend the channel list of schedules
>>         direct
>>         to include channels that would normally be just outside the
>>         range of the
>>         average user? Or can I setup specific channels to preform EIT
>>         gathering
>>         while populating the other channels using schedules direct?
>>
>>         At one point I considered dropping schedules direct, but the
>>         amount of
>>         Guide data that I obtain is very good! Much better than what the
>>         cable
>>         provider gives their cable boxes. I'm a big fan of getting 2
>>         weeks worth
>>         of guide data!
>>
>>         Maybe I can add more than 1 lineup? Or merge 2 lineups into a
>> master
>>         lineup? One from this area and another from where my directional
>>         antenna
>>         is pointed. So far I haven't had any channel conflicts or
>>         anything and
>>         the reception is great. I added a 24db gain General Electric
>>         drop amp to
>>         the mix and now I get 49 stations OTA. Including 2 different
>>         ABC's from
>>         2 area's.
>>
>>         Anyhow, I didn't know if anyone has ran into any issues like
>>         this and
>>         knew a good solution to fix it. Thanks!
>>
>>     Yes, you can have more than one line up.. Just choose the area you
>>     are receiving the extra channels from.. It's never a good idea to
>>     mix EIT with SD,from what I have read in the past, they don't play
>>     well together..
>>

>> I think the question is, "how do you create a video source containing
>> both lineups".  The input connections page in setup only allows you to
>> link a single source to each tuner, and each source only allows you to
>> select a single lineup.
>
> The answer is: you don't. Myth presumes that all of the channels in a
> source can be tuned by any tuner using that source. If a tuner can
> only receive some of the channels, then some of your recordings will
> fail, because myth will attempt to use that tuner to record a show on
> a channel that that tuner cannot receive. So of course, each source
> only allows a single lineup, and each tuner 'sees' only a single
> source. It is a necessary restraint, but one which users sometimes do
> not wish to grasp.

Yes. a MythTV Video Source is the list of channels that are tunable (and
usable) by a particular input and their tuning information.  A Schedules
Direct lineup is just a list of channels and their tuning information.
You can have a single SD lineup shared by multiple MythTV Video Sources
(with each having either different tuning information--i.e. same
channels, but tuned by one source using HDHR Prime to request the
channel by number and tuned by another source using HD-PVR's external
channel change script--or even having a different subset of the channels
in the lineup--i.e. for ClearQAM vs HD-PVR).  A single Video Source,
however, can't use multiple SD lineups.

The best approach if you do need to use listings data from multiple
lineups in a single Video Source is to create a wrapper script for
mythfilldatabase that uses tv_grab_na_dd --dd-data (do not use --output)
to get the raw (DataDirect format, not XMLTV format) listings data and
then use mythfilldatabase --dd-file to load the listings for each
lineup.  Make sure you don't use mythfilldatabase --file (do not use
XMLTV format data) or you will break your data and will be missing some
data.

Mike