[mythtv-users] Record sound using a BT848 card

Clay ctmythtv at pacbell.net
Sat Dec 29 23:49:06 UTC 2012

jedi wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 09:41:10PM -0600, Michael Heironimus wrote:
>> On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 07:18:58PM +1300, Nick Rout wrote:
>>> Yeah sorry I guess many of us just think that card is too old and decrepit,
>>> and that your approach to the problem is wrong. However, back on topic, do
>>> you have the snd_bt87x module running? I see reference to it here
>>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Hauppauge_WinTV-Go
>> Some of the WinTV framegrabbers can't use snd_bt87x because the audio
>> simply isn't connected to anything useful on the card. I have an old
>> (mid-2000) WinTV Go that couldn't use it, and a few-years-newer WinTV FM
>> that could.
>
>     That's one of the reasons I suggested getting a more modern card. They
> present a nicely packaged stream with everything in it and also do some
> useful compression. It's all tied up in a single package and you don't have
> to futz with it afterwards
>
>     At this point a BT848 seems like a lot of extra work and complexity that
> just isn't needed any more. (and hasn't been needed for quite a long time).

I did it years ago with an old AverMedia card. iirc, there was a couple
mini jacks on the back one had to jump (short mini cable) together to
get audio to record. Even then, the audio signal was very weak. Had to
run the volume up to 110% to hear it. Sucked when forgetting to turn it
down before watching something off another tuner.