[mythtv-users] tuner priorities

Tom Hayward esarfl at gmail.com
Fri Dec 28 21:50:07 UTC 2012

On Thu, Dec 27, 2012 at 9:38 AM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> I'm making this distinction so that others reading the thread or the
> archives find the right settings.  Generally speaking, no one should set
> Input Priority (popularly called "tuner priority").  It's pretty much just a
> way of saying, "This input is broken but I'd rather get the occasional bad
> recording out of it than fix my system."

Sorry to hijack the thread, but how would you classify this use case
(broken system / sub-optimal configuration / optimal):

I have an HDHomeRun Dual connected to antenna receiving ATSC. Channels
are generally 12-16 Mbps MPEG2.

I have an HDHomeRun Prime connected to cable receiving QAM. Channels
are generally 9-12 Mbps MPEG2.

I give the HDHR Dual inputs higher priority because the picture
quality from ATSC is better. The picture quality from cable isn't bad,
just not as good as ATSC. Is this optimal or is there a better way to
encourage programs to record from the higher quality steam?

Tom