[mythtv-users] Standalone music player with mythfrontend on Raspberry PI?

Gabe Rubin gaberubin at gmail.com
Fri Dec 28 17:37:07 UTC 2012

On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 9:32 AM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Dec 29, 2012 5:50 AM, "Gordon McCrae" <gordon.mccrae at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I'm thinking more of a non-MythTV device like one of the devices from
> Logitech, Sony, etc.
> >
> > Just curious if anyone else on this list has a similar device and using
> it with MP3 files hosted on Linux.
> >

> I have 2 squeezeboxes running against a Linux server (also happens to be
> my backend). Works fine. Be aware squeezeboxes are now EOLed. Buy while you
> can.

I too use a squeezebox solution for my music playing needs (and have a
remote on both my iPad and iPhone called iPeng that is pretty good but
costs around $7 for each version).  I used to run the server on my backend,
but started having problems that I could not troubleshoot, so now I run the
server on my windows machine.  I have a software based squeezebox player
running on my mythbox that is invoked by pressing a remote key assigned to
an irexec event (but that does not always work, and I need to sometimes to
run it from the command line).  Until I quit the program, I cannot use my
mythbox because squeeze takes over the audio (even when it is not playing
music).  I have considered adding a hardware player in the house, but have
not done so.  I am guessing this would be a good solution for you.

I have also heard some good things about the Sonos solution, but that is
going to cost you more money.