[mythtv-users] videos - scan for changes not fully working for me

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Thu Dec 27 18:02:33 UTC 2012

On 25/12/12 16:38, Jason Portwood wrote:

> I have a recently installed Mythtv frontend/backend server and a front
> end system using MythBuntu 12.04. (MythTV Version : v0.25.2-15-g46cab93
> / MythTV Branch : fixes/0.25).  I had an existing system before this and
> I wanted to start over fresh so I used mythicallibrarian to rename the
> old recordings and then I transferred what I wanted to keep to the new
> backed.  I placed those files, around 500 of them,  in a directory I set
> as the video storage group.  It has sub directories for each show/season
> as well.
>
> The problem I'm having is Mythtv on either system isn't seeing all of
> the titles.  I'm getting maybe half of the titles under videos (oddly
> seems to stop at the S's).  When I do a "scan for changes" on either
> system it will run once to 100% but the missing titles don't appear.  If
> I scan again it blinks and occasionally, if I run the scan again, the
> front end crashes with an error code 139.
>
> I've run the command "mythbackend --scanvideos" on the backend server
> but it didn't have any effect - I've only run that on my
> frontend/backend.  I haven't tried it yet on the dedicated front end.
>
> I haven't tried moving files out of the video directory and start
> smaller since my initial testing.  Would that be worth trying or should
> MythTV be able to handle what I'm doing?
>
> Thank you for any help / pointers in the right direction.
>
> Jason

This sounds to me like the usual scan problem: videos are identified by
hash-value, not by file name. Only recordings with a new hash-value are
added.  You may need to scan an empty set of directories before scanning
the ones that you want to use, and don't move recordings that have
already been scanned into a video directory without 'forgetting' them
first.  You might find mythlink.pl useful for some of this.

HTH

John P