[mythtv-users] Mythfrontend not waking up?

Paul Stillwell bigboi at wackywombats.com
Thu Dec 27 04:26:53 UTC 2012

On Dec 26, 2012, at 8:07 PM, Craig Huff wrote:

> On Wednesday, December 26, 2012, Paul Stillwell wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm having a strange problem. I think mythfrontend is doing something strange with the video after waking up. I just did a fresh install of Fedora 17 on a brand new SSD. I installed myth from ATrpms so I think I am running 0.25.3 version of myth. Previously, I had 0.24.<unknown> running on this exact hardware using a separate hard drive (which I replaced with the SSD). I did a backup of the database on the old hard drive and restored it onto the new SSD. Everything seemed to be working ok, but I noticed that if I left mythfrontend running and turned the TV and the receiver off then sometimes when I turned the TV and receiver back on, I wouldn't get any video. I can move the mouse or hit any of the keys and no video. I thought maybe the problem had something to do with the graphics driver, but if I exit mythfrontend and then turn the TV and receiver off, then later (usually overnight) turn the TV and receiver back on, then I always get video after moving the mouse. I'm sure th
>  e problem I am seeing has a time component to it because if mythfrontend is running and I leave it overnight (with the TV and receiver turned off) then I don't get any video the next day. If I don't have mythfrontend running and do the same thing, video works fine the next day. As an added bit of mystery, I am pretty sure that if mythfrontend is running and the video isn't coming out to the TV, if I am using the keys to navigate through the myth menus, I can play a recording and get sound, but no video.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions? The WAF is going through the floor at this moment!
>
> Paul
>
> Sounds like your system is finding no video display on startup and concluding it is a "headless" system, so it doesn't bother to output video. The monitor/TV needs to be on _before_ starting the system, or you need to force your system (with an appropriate xorg.conf) to always output to the appropriate video device.
>
> Craig.

Technically, it was started with the TV on then after starting mythfrontend and watching some shows, I turned the TV off (while leaving the computer running mythfrontend on). Then after some lengthy period of time I turned the TV on again (with mythfrontend running) and I press a key or move the mouse and I don't get any video. It could be that I had some custom xorg.conf script on my old setup, I just can't remember.

Paul