[mythtv-users] Mythfrontend can't ping database host

Gabe Rubin gaberubin at gmail.com
Tue Dec 25 19:17:20 UTC 2012

On Tue, Dec 25, 2012 at 7:54 AM, Tim Phipps <phipps-hutton at sky.com> wrote:

> Quoting Gabe Rubin <gaberubin at gmail.com>:
>
>> Cannot find (ping) database host 192.168.1.101 on the network
>>

> That's because 192.168.1.101 is not a host name it's an IPv4 address. Try
> using the hostname instead. I had the same problem when I moved a lot of
> stuff to IPv6: mythbackend will only ping an IPv4 resolvable hostname and I
> didn't have an IPv4 address for my database.

Is this something I need or should correct (I can still watch my recordings
and access other db functionality).  Is this possibly the cause of the
problem I am having where my firewire capture no longer works?  If I should
fix it, how would I go about doing it?  I don't think I have ever set up a
hostname for this machine.

Thanks!