[mythtv-users] Funky prefix to shutdown command (-#012#011#011#011#011#011#011)

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Dec 19 14:34:22 UTC 2012

On 12/19/2012 09:09 AM, Jim Stichnoth wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 2:19 AM, wrote:
>> Hi,
>> my backend-only server is configured to shutdown after a certain idle-time. It actually detects everything correctly, but when actually executing the command "mythshutdown --shutdown" it apparently prepends it with a funky string:
>>
>> Dec 19 11:06:10 mythserver mythlogserver: mythbackend[3953]: N Scheduler scheduler.cpp:2975 (ShutdownServer) Running the command to shutdown this computer :-#012#011#011#011#011#011#011mythshutdown --shutdown
>>
>> It doesn't matter what I put as the shutdown command, it always adds this string. It happens with 0.25 and 0.26.
>>
>> Any help?
>  From programs/mythbackend/scheduler.cpp:
>          LOG(VB_GENERAL, LOG_NOTICE,
>              QString("Running the command to shutdown this computer
> :-\n\t\t\t\t\t\t") + halt_cmd);
>
> You are just seeing mythlogserver deal with "special" characters in a
> log message.

Actually, you are just seeing syslog deal with special characters.
mythlogserver handles them fine.  syslog converts them, unless you
configure it not to.  If you'd like a prettier log, either let
mythlogserver write it (don't use syslog) or reconfigure syslog.  (See
the part about $EscapeControlCharactersOnReceive on
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Simple_rsyslog_Configuration .)

That said, control characters have no place in log messages, so,
eventually, we plan to fix up multi-line messages and messages with
formatting, but it's not high priority.

Mike