[mythtv-users] OT: ubuntu 12.04 mythtv sound works but sound for other apps no longer does?

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Sun Dec 16 00:49:55 UTC 2012

On one of my mythtv frontend machines, I'd been able to ssh in and run
mplayer or the Spotify app to listen to streaming music. A few days
ago after a dist-upgrade I am no longer able to get sound to work from
outside MythTV.

I'm using SPDIF on this box, and the other applications all think they
are playing, but no sound comes out, even with aplay or mplayer when I
specifically define what audio device to use.

Has anyone ever encountered something similar, or have any idea why
mythfrontend is able to play sound while no other applications seem to
be able to?

thanks!

--
Steve