[mythtv-users] .26 rpms for Centos 6.3

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Sat Dec 15 12:47:36 UTC 2012

On 14/12/12 14:09, Richard Shaw wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 1:20 PM, John Pilkington<J.Pilk at tesco.net>  wrote:
>> On 10/12/12 18:14, Russell Gower wrote:
>> The post below has a link to srpms, spec files and notes for 0.26 that are
>> said to based on the ATrpms distribution, working under Scientific Linux
>> 6.3, and 'should work on any rpm based system.'  I'm afraid I haven't yet
>> tried to use them myself;  they still seem to be in the dropbox.
>>
>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/atrpms/users/16455#16455
>>
>> ATrpms has just been updated with (for f16) a couple of nvidia kmdls; it
>> seems that the matching kernels haven't yet reached the fedora-updates repo.
>
> I think it's something specific to CentOS but I have no clue what. I
> don't think it's the RPMs I'm building since they are also based on
> the ones from MythTV git since the original author had a hand in both
> those and the ones I maintain for RPM Fusion.
>
> The only difference right now between the ones I build for Fedora and
> EL6 is that I have CrystalHD disabled in EL because the library isn't
> available. Other than that the spec file is 100% identical. Obviously
> there's a lot of kernel and library version differences but that's the
> nature of the beast when running EL.
>
> Richard

Yet more strangeness.  I have installed mythtv 0.26.0 and mythweb 0.26.0
from the EL6 i686 binary packages in the link above.  My package manager
(smart) reports that all installed packages have correct relations, and
Myth looks normal on startup.

I can't play recordings, videos or livetv; I get 'Please wait..'
followed by 'Failed to initialise video output.'  The frontend log shows:

2012-12-15 12:05:44.918167 E  VideoOutput: Not compiled with any useable
video output method.
2012-12-15 12:05:44.918189 E  Player(0): Couldn't create VideoOutput
instance. Exiting..
2012-12-15 12:05:44.918230 E  Player(0): Unable to initialize video.

Stephen Collier, who built and is using the same packages, reports that
his system works.   Our mythfrontend --version output differs only in
that _his_ says that using opengl_video, opengl, vaapi and vdpau were
options compiled in, and mine does not.

This isn't my main system, and I can watch via UPnP.  In fact the box
has never been able to process HD content at faster that 0.6 speed, and
its display doesn't have HD-resolution, but it can capture, process and
stream content and I still hope to use it as a 0.26 trainer.

I wonder if I might still be getting hostname confusion, since the UPnP
display shows that output of 'hostname' while the local identifier of
back-and-front-ends is slightly different; that's the one that appears
in two places in config.xml

Any ideas?

John P