[mythtv-users] Stuttering video on mythtv 0.26

Ben Kelly kell4now at gmail.com
Sat Dec 15 05:45:23 UTC 2012

>> I recently upgraded to mythtv 0.26. Everything works fine,
>> except for
>> some videos which have very bad stuttering. These videos play
>> fine on
>> 0.25. I've also checked mplayer, which plays them very
>> smoothly as
>> well. I have an nvidia ION card and I'm using the "vdpau
>> normal"
>> profile, but I've been through the others (OpenGL, etc) and
>> the
>> problem is always the same on myth 0.26.
>>

>> I used the video playback test under the Setup Wizard in the
>> frontend.
>> SD is ok, but the HD test gets stutter. I've noticed that the
>> log gets
>> filled with these on videos experiencing stutter (and this
>> includes
>> the HD test):
>> "CoreContext mythplayer.cpp:2095 (PrebufferEnoughFrames)"
>>

>> I've set the nvidia powermizer to max performance, updated to
>> the 304
>> nvidia driver, turned off CPU scaling - none of which have
>> made any
>> difference.
>>

>> My setup is:
>> - Zotac Mag - Atom 330 CPU
>> - ION nvidia graphics
>> - Mythbuntu 12.04
>> - Mythtv 0.26
>

>Do you have any of the deprecated vdpau filter text items added to your
>vdpau video playback profiles.
>One of the removed filter options is vdpaustudiolevels, I forget the
>others that have been removed.
>The filters are available there but are enabled from the GUI OSD menu.
>
>Do you have the dreaded alsa buffer size warning in your logs:
>"ALSA: Unable to sufficiently increase ALSA hardware buffer size -
>underruns are likely" ?
>
>Not sure how any of these would cause your network bandwidth problems
>tho.
>
>Can run "mythfrontend -v playback" to increase debugging output.

I turned on the extra debugging as suggested. Nothing stands out (although
there is a *lot* of information to trawl through) besides this just
repeating over and over:
CoreContext mythplayer.cpp:2095 (PrebufferEnoughFrames) Player(0): Waited
626ms for video buffers AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAf

I also connect my FE to the same switch has my BE. The stuttering video
completely saturates the 100M interface. A working video only uses up
1-2Mbps.