[mythtv-users] Opensuse 12.2 frontend; following symlinks

John Morris jmorris at beau.org
Fri Dec 14 19:20:25 UTC 2012

On Fri, 2012-12-14 at 14:03 +0000, Gordon McCrae wrote:

> Nope, I've never run a WM either, just bare MythFrontend, mainly because
> I had very low spec frontends originally, and now because I find that
> WMs just interfere with my settings.

Amen to that.  I just use a very spartan .xsession file in mythtv's home
directory.  It goes something like this:

xset -dpms s off
/usr/bin/unclutter -idle 2 -root &
nvidia-settings --load-config-only
killall irexec
irexec --daemon
mythfrontend

The irexec is so I can have a binding on the remote to shoot
mythfrontend in the head if it misbehaves.  At which point it sit at the
login screen a couple of seconds and respawn.  Improves WAF a lot;
explain that shift exit will recover from darned near anything and it
does.

Only one thing can still take it out to the point I get a call to do
something about it.  Myth's inability to recover from tuning a dead
channel.  If it decides to store it as the current channel before
croaking you can exit all day and restart and it dies again when you try
to watch tv.  Really wish that one could get fixed.  Frobing the
database through mythweb isn't something I want to try teaching, know
what I mean?  Think I have found and eliminated all of the ones
Suddenlink decided to enable CGMS or copy-once on, but I suspect there
will be more.