[mythtv-users] convert video format

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Dec 13 18:26:44 UTC 2012

On 12/13/2012 12:49 PM, Groepaz wrote:
> On Thursday 13 December 2012, jedi wrote:
>>> generally, the files that
>>> don't play well are stolen files--because of all the stupid encoding
>>> options they choose to make them small enough to distribute
> thats something that can only be uttered by someone who doesnt have a clue
> really =) there may be broken files created by pirates around - but no more
> than broken files created by other "experts" in the field.
>
> and a robust decoder would still decode them fine anyway, so discussing that
> point and blaming the files is a bit short sighted too.

OK, let me put it this way, users who are ripping their own purchased
discs under fair use (or transcoding their recordings to save space) are
smart enough to rip/trandscode them with options that will work on their
systems.

And, if you're just getting started and you rip or transcode a show and
it won't play, you re-rip/re-transcode it with proper encoding options
that will work on your systems.  You do /not/ ask how you can convert
the "won't work on my systems because of bad encoding options" file,
because doing so necessarily reduces quality over re-ripping from the
original source.

But the reason we're saying the video is a stolen file is because of the
filename--which is reason enough to tell everyone to discuss this elsewhere.

Whether the file plays in MythTV or not is now irrelevant.

Mike