[mythtv-users] Schema issue

Thomas Mashos thomas at mashos.com
Wed Dec 12 18:22:55 UTC 2012

On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 10:11 AM, Tim Draper <veehexx at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12 December 2012 17:55, Thomas Mashos <thomas at mashos.com> wrote:
>
>> That is because you didn't upgrade properly. When you did 'apt-get
>> upgrade', you were told that certain packages would be held back. You need
>> to do a 'apt-get dist-upgrade' so it installs the new packages.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Thomas Mashos
>>

>> oh :( my lack of linux knowledge showing through nicely there!
>
> i was always on the impression that 'dist-upgrade' did upgrades between
> Distro releases (eg 12.04.1 to 12.04.2, or 12.10 for *buntu releases).
> 'upgrade' did package upgrades and kept you on the same distro release.
>
> thanks for setting me straight.

Yea, I don't like how it's name either :(

12.04 and 12.04.1 and 12.04.2 are the same release just with updates done.
12.10 is a different release. To upgrade between releases, you would use
update-manager.

Take a look at the best answer at
http://askubuntu.com/questions/81585/what-is-dist-upgrade-and-why-does-it-upgrade-more-than-upgrade

Thanks,