[mythtv-users] Zotac ZBOX front end - input needed

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 19:04:40 UTC 2012

On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 7:20 AM, Jason <jason at wkrp.com> wrote:

> **
>

> I wanted to get some input on using a Zotac ZBOX as a Mythtv front end.
> Either the ID11 or ID41 I think is the way to go since they have the NVIDIA
> ION in them.
>
> I am currently rebuilding my backend and it will support HD video now so I
> need to upgrade my front end, which is an OLD 8+ year old system.  The HD
> video will be recorded from a HD-PVR.  I may keep a PVR-500 around for a
> while until I add a second HD-PVR.
>
> I do plan on converting the video for long term storage using mythical
> librarian.  I also play videos off the backend system using Plex on Roku
> and a Samsung TV Plex app.
>
> Also do the ION systems work well with Live TV?
>
> I would like any advice on if this is the way to go or if I should look
> into something else for a front end.  I have the back end worked out I
> think.  I just need some help on the front end since I've always just went
> with an old PC that didn't support HD video output...  Or am I better off
> going with an older LGA775 motherboard, a decent video card, small hard
> drive (or netboot), and a duo core processor with a couple gig of memory?
> I could see using that but then Ilike the idea of a small all-in-one system
> for the bedroom that's quiet.

My (revo) ion1 and ion2 systems work well. Many will tell you that they
have little cpu power for the video files that do not have hardware
support, but frankly if you get ion2 you won't find much video it doesn't
handle.

specs often don't tell you if it is ion1 or ion2, but ion2 is usually
coupled with the d525 processor.